Skip to main content

Good advice is priceless

I’ll bet that most of you never met my friend Homer.

He was the publisher of the Yale News, the small newspaper where I started my journalism career — years ago.

Homer was a large man, with a huge smile, and even bigger hands. But he also was a natural teacher and perfectly willing to answer any question a 13-year-old kid would ask.

And I asked tons of ‘em.

I spent years working for Homer and, over the course of our friendship he gave me some great advice. Like my father, Homer’s views on the world helped mold my faith and my beliefs.

I should have listened to him more.

But I do remember some of his better sayings:

“Always remember, you’ll be the other guy some day.” It took me a while to figure what this meant, exactly. But once I discovered how it felt to be the other guy, I realized there were, in fact, two sides to every story. I try to keep this in mind in both my personal and my professional life.

“Take the time to watch the sunset; it’s good for you.” About 25 years after Homer told me this, I understood. Even today, I feel like I rushed through the first part of my life and I’m still trying to learn to slow down. But there are times, on the drive home or late when all the kids are asleep, I find myself standing outside looking up at the stars.

“Find out what you like to do and give it your best.” I hadn’t worked at Homer’s newspaper very long when I developed a life-long desire for a career in jounralism. Even today, I’m still thrilled to see a photograph or a story I’ve worked on appear in print. I’ve made many, many mistakes in my life, but I was smart enough to take this advice at a very early age.

“Don’t worry about your critics, because in the world of journalism, you’ll always have one.” Homer once told me that he couldn’t remember a single day when someone didn’t come in his newspaper to complain. Usually they didn’t dispute the facts of the story — but the fact that he wrote the story. Homer said you had to develop a tough, thick skin to work in this field. He was right. And in this age of instant communication, many times the complaint gets to you before the newspaper does.

Homer was my friend.

He and his wife, Beth, told me stories, taught me well, and showed me at a very early age a world that I wanted to make my own. Throughout my life I counted him among the few non-family members of my circle that I truly respected.

I miss him.

Sadly, Homer’s life came to an end nine years ago in a tragic accident — he was on his way to cover a football game. He was a decent, talented and honorable man and I wish there were more people like him.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to take Homer’s wisdom to heart and I’ve tried to learn from each moment. This week, I was reminded of what I consider the best advice I received from the man — “never pay a dime for a nickel whistle.”

Honestly, I believe Homer was trying to tell me not to sell out; to make sure the deal was good or the object was worth the cost.

Wisdom that, even now, I’m still learning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's always good to have a mentor. Since I'm 20, I've surrounded myself with multiple teachers. It's great.

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-pastor suing Moore's First Baptist Church

MOORE — A former official with Moore’s First Baptist Church is suing the church for his termination, and for “spreading false rumors about his mental health throughout the community,” court documents show. Jimmie D. Lady, the church’s associate pastor, filed the suit in Cleveland County District Court last week seeking $10,000 in actual damages and $10,000 in punitive damages for “severe emotional distress and mental anguish as a result of statements made about him when his job was terminated.” Lady’s attorney, Andrew Hicks of Houston, claimed church officials terminated Lady for being bi-polar, then spread rumors about Lady in the community. “Although a man of God, Dr. Lady cannot ignore the dramatic, adverse effects these untrue and unfair accusations have had on him and his family,” Hicks said. “First Baptist Moore’s efforts to tarnish Dr. Lady’s reputation have threatened his family’s livelihood. Through this suit, we hope to restore Dr. Lady’s good name.” Church officials denied

If I were a chef...

If I were a chef, I’d spend early Wednesday mornings at the Farmers Market. I’d get there around 7 a.m., when the produce was wet and fresh and the day was young and the people were still drinking their coffee. If I were a chef, I’d wait patiently while the wrinkled granny lady individually fondled all 631 tomatoes on the table in front of her. I’d quietly tap my foot as she sniffed and touched each of the red, buxom vegetables before she finally selected two, and paid for them. I’d do that, if I were a chef. If I were a chef, I buy peaches — boxes and boxes of peaches. I’d buy them from the old, snaggle-toothed man with the radiant smile whose booth sits to the right of the entrance to the fairgrounds building. I’d buy his peaches because I know the old man understands fruit and earth and trees, better than anyone else there. I’d smile as his wrinkled, gnarly hand gently placed peach after peach in my basket. And I’d give him a sly wink after he handed me a bruised, but succulent pea

The Night Shift

  You can tell the ones who work the night shift.             Their bodies move slowly, bathed in the yellowish amber glow of neon. Exhausted by the day and drained by fear, they seek refuge beneath the glass and steel that – at this moment – is their home. Their faces betray them. Their smiles have given way to pain. They are pale and gaunt with dark eyes and hollow, almost lifeless expressions. This is not their true being, mind you, just the mask of wear and worry assigned them by the night shift.             They have no time for fun or laughter. Under the steel and glass there is no smoky jazz club, no the out-of-the way bistro. Here, instead are the operating theaters and the nurses’ stations, their walls covered in drab paint. Here is the worn tiled floor, the proof of a billion footsteps. This is the night shift. Those assigned didn’t seek the task – it found them. Once the decision was made – surgery, hospitalization, medicine – they were placed in the cue like so many oth