Skip to main content

A little about keeping government open

The public official’s secretary claimed she was only doing her job.

“Mr. Public official’s office,” she said. I’d called because I was working a story about how some public funds were being spent.
“Hi,” I answered. “This is Scott Carter with the newspaper may I speak with Mr. Public Official?”

Now at this point, everything was OK — but it changed quickly.

“He’s not in,” the secretary answered.

“OK, may I leave a message?”

There was a pause, and a sigh, sorta’ like I was taking up too much of her time.

“Well, yes,” she finally said.

“Great. Please have him call me at the paper at 3-6-6-3-5-4-5.”

“And what is this regarding?” she asked me.

“Pardon me?”

“Well, what do you want to talk to him about? He likes for me to find out.”

“He does?”

“Yes.” she said. By now she’s getting more frustrated with me; strange I was the one who made the call.

“So why are you calling?”

“Like I said, I’m a newspaper reporter and I’m working on a story. I’d like to get a comment from him about it.”

“What type of story?” she said.

“I prefer to discuss that with him.”

Long pause. Little Miss Personal Assistant is frosted. I’m not playing by her rules. I’m not telling her what she wants to know so she can decide whether or not to give her boss the message.

“Well, he wants to know.”

“That’s fine,” I answered. “Just tell him I called.”

Needless to say our civic official — the man who gets his salary from your tax dollars — doesn’t call me back.

Four hours later, I try again.

Same issue; the secretary wants to screen calls before she can decide whether or not to give her boss the message. Sorry, I don’t play that game.

“I’ll keep calling,” I tell her.

Now, honestly, I’m not so egotistical that I expect any government official to drop whatever they are doing and take my call. I’ve been in the newspaper industry long enough to understand that government officials are, truly, busy.

But being busy is one thing.

Openness in government is another.

Because it shouldn’t matter why I, or any taxpayer for that matter, makes a call. Each of us contributes and each of us should be allowed to question those leaders that we elect and hire to work for us.

There should be no screen.

Whether I’m an investigative reporter or a waitress at a local restaurant, the laws apply equally. Those laws are known as the Open Meeting and the Open Record Acts and they, along with our state’s Constitution, are the foundation for transparency in government.

Openness in government doesn’t rest on the shoulders of a personal assistant with an attitude problem. Instead, it’s a concept that acknowledges the government, which serves us, is available to us all.

And that “out” city official?

I finally talked to him.

I called him on his cell phone, while he was driving from one meeting to the next.

“You can call me at the office,” he said. “I’m usually there.”

“I couldn’t get through the thought police,” I told him. “So I’ll just use your cell number. That way, the communication between us is direct and open and there’s not a third party involved.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome. Dead on description of how those conversations with assistants go. Granted, I'm only in college, but it's a private college at that. So even though it's a tuition-driven school, tons of administrators evade us while they get paid with our overpriced education.

I once called the interim president on his cell phone. He was eating dinner. He asked for me to call his office, and then he hung up.
Knowing the aforementioned Public Official and his trusty assistant, I commend your tenacity and not giving in to her questions.

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-pastor suing Moore's First Baptist Church

MOORE — A former official with Moore’s First Baptist Church is suing the church for his termination, and for “spreading false rumors about his mental health throughout the community,” court documents show. Jimmie D. Lady, the church’s associate pastor, filed the suit in Cleveland County District Court last week seeking $10,000 in actual damages and $10,000 in punitive damages for “severe emotional distress and mental anguish as a result of statements made about him when his job was terminated.” Lady’s attorney, Andrew Hicks of Houston, claimed church officials terminated Lady for being bi-polar, then spread rumors about Lady in the community. “Although a man of God, Dr. Lady cannot ignore the dramatic, adverse effects these untrue and unfair accusations have had on him and his family,” Hicks said. “First Baptist Moore’s efforts to tarnish Dr. Lady’s reputation have threatened his family’s livelihood. Through this suit, we hope to restore Dr. Lady’s good name.” Church officials denied

If I were a chef...

If I were a chef, I’d spend early Wednesday mornings at the Farmers Market. I’d get there around 7 a.m., when the produce was wet and fresh and the day was young and the people were still drinking their coffee. If I were a chef, I’d wait patiently while the wrinkled granny lady individually fondled all 631 tomatoes on the table in front of her. I’d quietly tap my foot as she sniffed and touched each of the red, buxom vegetables before she finally selected two, and paid for them. I’d do that, if I were a chef. If I were a chef, I buy peaches — boxes and boxes of peaches. I’d buy them from the old, snaggle-toothed man with the radiant smile whose booth sits to the right of the entrance to the fairgrounds building. I’d buy his peaches because I know the old man understands fruit and earth and trees, better than anyone else there. I’d smile as his wrinkled, gnarly hand gently placed peach after peach in my basket. And I’d give him a sly wink after he handed me a bruised, but succulent pea

The Night Shift

  You can tell the ones who work the night shift.             Their bodies move slowly, bathed in the yellowish amber glow of neon. Exhausted by the day and drained by fear, they seek refuge beneath the glass and steel that – at this moment – is their home. Their faces betray them. Their smiles have given way to pain. They are pale and gaunt with dark eyes and hollow, almost lifeless expressions. This is not their true being, mind you, just the mask of wear and worry assigned them by the night shift.             They have no time for fun or laughter. Under the steel and glass there is no smoky jazz club, no the out-of-the way bistro. Here, instead are the operating theaters and the nurses’ stations, their walls covered in drab paint. Here is the worn tiled floor, the proof of a billion footsteps. This is the night shift. Those assigned didn’t seek the task – it found them. Once the decision was made – surgery, hospitalization, medicine – they were placed in the cue like so many oth