Skip to main content

Good beer, a must for Chris Milum

Chris Milum started out his career a certified public accountant.

A 1996 graduate of Moore High School, Milum earned his bachelor’s of business administration in finance and accounting from Southern Methodist University.

He went on to get his master’s degree in accounting, too.

And after that, he became a certified public accountant.

Life was OK for about three years.

But at the time when most number jockeys would settle down, find a wife, and have 2.3 children, Chris Milum turned in his calculator.

“I guess I needed more adventure,” he said.

His decision came after an impromptu bull session with some friends. “A bunch of us were sitting around talking about what we would do if we weren’t CPAs. And the answers were pretty typical.”

Except when it came to Chris.

“I told them I wanted to brew beer.”

Having been a beer fan since he turned 21 — the legal drinking age in Oklahoma — Milum didn’t want to just brew any beer; he wanted to create hand-crafted, old world style beer.

Beer that didn’t taste like the six pack variety.

“I was in Dallas,” he said. “We were at Humperdinks and I tried my first crafted beer. And I really enjoyed it.”

He liked it so much, that he began visiting brew pubs and other places were he could try different beers. “When I’d go to a new town, I’d try to find a brew pub and taste everything that I could,” he said. “I wanted to try something I hadn’t tried before.”

The affinity quickly led to a hobby.

And with the help of freinds, Chris began to make his own beer.

“Some friends and I began to brew our own beer and we were making really good stuff,” he said. “It was as good as some of the pubs we visited.”

And it was at this point that Chris Milum began to realize his future was tied to hops and yeast and not numbers.

“A couple of my friends said we should try to open our own microbrewery. But I really didn’t ever think about going back to school.”

Even so, about two years later, Chris enrolled at the University of California at Davis to study brewing.

“The program was developed by the Institute and Guild of Brewing from Burton, England, he said.

Twelve weeks later, he’d learned how to brew beer on the large scale.

“I earned my certificate in brewing and packaging,” he said. “And learned how to brew beer on heavy machinery.”

But Chris didn’t want to work for Budweiser.

“I wanted to learn the art and the science,” he said. “I wanted to study the craft.”

Armed with his basic brewer’s knowledge, he set off again, this time to Middlebury, Vt., and the American Brewer’s Guild.

About six months later, he received his Master Brewer’s diploma and an apprenticeship at the Otter Creek Brewing Company and Wolavers Organic Ales.

The world of accounting was now well behind him.

After completing his apprenticeship, he began searching for a job in the brewing industry.

“I wanted to leave Vermont,” he said. “The winters were pretty rough and I’m a warm-blooded mammal, so I started looking for jobs back south.”

A tip from his brother led Chris to Fayetteville, Ark., and a job at the Hog Haus Brewery.

Two years later, he returned to Moore.

“The brewery began to have financial problems, so I got out,” he said. “Plus I wanted to get back to my microbrewery plan. So I came back here last December.”

With his training and a great deal of practical experience, Chris, now 29, launched an Internet-based business designed to help those home brewing hobbyists.

“We started out as an educational resource,” he said. “I realized there were a whole bunch of misconceptions about home brewers. I was sitting around and thought, ‘I need to correct some of these things.’”

He developed a series of videos which helped answer the home brewer’s questions.

And business took off.

“We spent all of 2006 making new videos and writing scripts,” he said. “And we would always tell people to go to your local home brew shop. After a while we decided we need to start offering the equipment ourselves and from there, business just skyrocketed.”

He was so successful that this June Chris opened his store, Learn to Brew, at 2307 South Interstate 35 Frontage Road in Moore.

“We moved in on June 1st,” he said. “The store looks like a pub with bars in the front and back.”

Built with fixtures created by his father, the store began to offer brewing supplies, advice and even classes to those who want to make their own beer. The store hosted its grand opening Aug. 24.

“Business has been awesome,” he said. “It’s a lot better than I expected, but word-of-mouth is huge among home brewers.”

By coupling training with equipment and supplies, Chris says he can help even the most inexperienced beer fan.

“Beer is basically a recipe of four ingredients: hops, malted barley, yeast and water,” he said. “And here, we offer basic classes and those for the intermediate learner. We want people to learn to brew like a craft brewery.”

Additionally, he says, Learn to Brew will host beer tastings to teach brewers how to analyze and solve problems in their beer.

“It’s not a get-together and drink thing,” he said. “We take beer and then we add different chemicals to it, so people can taste when something goes wrong. If they recognize what it tastes like, then they can learn where in the bewing process to fix it.”
Along with beer, Learn to Brew also will offer classes for wine making.

“Our classes are small, limited to 10 people. That’s because it’s all hands on; it’s not just me lecturing, the students are doing the brewing themselves.”

Future plans include a microbrewery — connected with Learn to Brew’s store.

“We’re probably about five years away from the microbrewery,” he said. “We want to get Learn to Brew up and running, then we’ll move on to the microbrewery.”

And while Chris will acknowledge that beer and home brewing isn’t for everyone; he believes there is a great reward in making a well crafted, good tasting beer.

Because good beer, he believes, is the result of knowledge and patience.

“It’s a great hobby,” he says. “We don’t try to convert anyone. We just want to teach people how to brew great tasting beer at home.”

A noble aspiration for a one-time accountant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-pastor suing Moore's First Baptist Church

MOORE — A former official with Moore’s First Baptist Church is suing the church for his termination, and for “spreading false rumors about his mental health throughout the community,” court documents show. Jimmie D. Lady, the church’s associate pastor, filed the suit in Cleveland County District Court last week seeking $10,000 in actual damages and $10,000 in punitive damages for “severe emotional distress and mental anguish as a result of statements made about him when his job was terminated.” Lady’s attorney, Andrew Hicks of Houston, claimed church officials terminated Lady for being bi-polar, then spread rumors about Lady in the community. “Although a man of God, Dr. Lady cannot ignore the dramatic, adverse effects these untrue and unfair accusations have had on him and his family,” Hicks said. “First Baptist Moore’s efforts to tarnish Dr. Lady’s reputation have threatened his family’s livelihood. Through this suit, we hope to restore Dr. Lady’s good name.” Church officials denied

If I were a chef...

If I were a chef, I’d spend early Wednesday mornings at the Farmers Market. I’d get there around 7 a.m., when the produce was wet and fresh and the day was young and the people were still drinking their coffee. If I were a chef, I’d wait patiently while the wrinkled granny lady individually fondled all 631 tomatoes on the table in front of her. I’d quietly tap my foot as she sniffed and touched each of the red, buxom vegetables before she finally selected two, and paid for them. I’d do that, if I were a chef. If I were a chef, I buy peaches — boxes and boxes of peaches. I’d buy them from the old, snaggle-toothed man with the radiant smile whose booth sits to the right of the entrance to the fairgrounds building. I’d buy his peaches because I know the old man understands fruit and earth and trees, better than anyone else there. I’d smile as his wrinkled, gnarly hand gently placed peach after peach in my basket. And I’d give him a sly wink after he handed me a bruised, but succulent pea

The Night Shift

  You can tell the ones who work the night shift.             Their bodies move slowly, bathed in the yellowish amber glow of neon. Exhausted by the day and drained by fear, they seek refuge beneath the glass and steel that – at this moment – is their home. Their faces betray them. Their smiles have given way to pain. They are pale and gaunt with dark eyes and hollow, almost lifeless expressions. This is not their true being, mind you, just the mask of wear and worry assigned them by the night shift.             They have no time for fun or laughter. Under the steel and glass there is no smoky jazz club, no the out-of-the way bistro. Here, instead are the operating theaters and the nurses’ stations, their walls covered in drab paint. Here is the worn tiled floor, the proof of a billion footsteps. This is the night shift. Those assigned didn’t seek the task – it found them. Once the decision was made – surgery, hospitalization, medicine – they were placed in the cue like so many oth